Thursday, August 23, 2012

Who likes all day breakfasts? Toby's Estate for Eggs Benedict

I featured Toby's Estate in my series on espresso joints in town. But equally interesting is the food at this relaxed cafe by the river. I particularly like their Eggs Benedict which I feature today.

Of course we had to start with a coffee. this time a cappucino...nice, beautifully drawn espresso, with a great foam, with nice latte art. Very delicious. The beans were flavourful, with a punch, even through the milk. Very nice.

But I want to talk about their Eggs Benedict

I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to Eggs Benedict. I don't know why it should cost so much...not to single out Toby's, but a typical EB cost north of $10, some even asking for $18 for two poached eggs, sitting with a slice of ham on toast and Hollandaise sauce. The least expensive is at Al Dente Pronto at Great World City...$7.50.

But Toby's $14, is almost double the price, but I do think is a bit better...the eggs were done perfect. Just runny inside, but holds well to its shape outside. The toast, perfect. Instead of ham, they use a slice of prosciutto. Quite nice!

Here is another pic...

The texture of the egg exterior suggested to me they were poached in vinegar...but as mentioned, they were perfectly done...and one poke with the fork, and the yolk oozes out.

The restaurant features outdoor al fresco seating...and for a nice breakfast by the river, is bicycle friendly. In fact, this is one of the more atas (upmarket) places my cyclist friends and I like to have our morning sustainance before our ride.

Toby's Estate
8 Rodyk st4
#01-03/04
+65 66367629

No comments: